Sunday, October 31, 2010

Oats, they arent just for breakfast anymore

Quite some time ago a friend of mine and I were determined to add oat something or another into our lotions, with the exception we didn't call it oat milk. We simply cooked up some old fashioned oatmeal in water and used the liquid. Once it cooled it was a thick gooey mess. But we were proud of our accomplishments at the time. I didn't make it again as it was a mess to work with and make. Instead I opted to add a certain percent of colloidal oatmeal directly into my lotions or creams.

With soap, I add in the colloidal oatmeal directly into the soap. This has a powder fine texture so it doesn't add much grit into the soap. For those that prefer something that exfoliates just a little more I use the old fashioned oatmeal and run it through a food processor to break it down.

I don't use baby oatmeal, quick cooking or instant oatmeal because I feel that the process that they have gone through breaks down and removes the goodness of the oatmeal that you need.

The FDA has approved colloidal oatmeal as as skin proctant.  After all this is what the AVENO company has based their product line off of.   For many people it helps to relieve dry and itchy skin.


But this has recently been something I have been thinking more of lately. So I began looking more into what is called Oat Milk. This has a liquid consistency or sometimes the consistency of heavy cream but not thicker than that. People use it to drink in place of actual cows milk when they can't drink that for health reasons.

I looked up some recipes and found where some people cooked there's while others just amounted to steeping the oats in hot water for 8 to 10 hours then to continue with the process. I learned from before that cooking makes a mess of things, so I wanted to try the steeping method. But I didn't have the old fashioned oats in the house and I didn't feel like running to the store. But I knew that colloidal oatmeal was ground up oats and I did have plenty of that. I also found a recipe on the net that used the colloidal oatmeal and water but it didn't give any measurements. So I guessed. I believe I figured on the heavy side which benefits the oat milk even more. I strained it almost a dozen times to get out as much of the grit as possible and I was quite pleased with the results. Now my oat milk has the benefits of the oats without the grit. I'm so very excited about that.

So I used my oat milk in a batch of soap along with some heavy cream and I'm really pleased with the results.  This first batch as created with a friend in mine with very dry and itchy skin.  So I also added 6% PPO colloidal oatmeal to the soap batter at trace for additional oat goodness.

After I prepared my batter I was surprised to see it turn a pumpkin orange color which you can really notice the difference in this photo.  I used 16 ounces of oils and a lye concentration of 35% and a 7% superfat.   This filled 5 1/2 of the round soaps in my round silicone mold.

The next morning I was pleased to see the color of the soap had toned down into a pretty tan color.  Shown just out of their mold.


Now a few days later.  It's still a neutral natural looking beige color which I think is appropriate for the oat goodness in the soap.   I plan on letting the soap sit for another few days before taking it for a test spin with the partial bar. 



This batch was scented with a scent called Capri Olivo.  It was a scent I purchased just an ounce of to test.  It's described a. . . . . . . 
A Luxury Spa fragrance!  Wisk away to Capri Island; a breath-taking paradise overlooking the Mediterranean Sea.  Your mind will embrace this cultural encounter, while your soul attains pure harmony.  Capri Olivo is a culturally complex aroma of tart Japanese grapefruit, Fresh Osmanthus (Sweet Olive), and dew-covered watercress;  followed by middle notes of rose, jasmine,  and cassis.  To create subtle ecstasy, Capri Olivo sits on a dry down of fresh amber and myrrh. 

I look forward to adding more oat milk soaps to my store to benefit your skin even further with the goodness of oats without the grit.   In a soap that will be gentle to your skin with a well formulated soap recipe.

No comments: