Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Welsh Rolls A Bread Recipe

This is my grandmothers recipe on my dad's side of the family. However it's also the recipe that my mother made since my parents married. As a child I never had store bought bread until we moved overseas when I was 8 years old! Even then she occasionally made it when we lived overseas.

So I'd like to share the recipe with you. However I have scaled this recipe down so it will fit and the dough can be made inside a bread machine. Which makes my life much easier. They don't last long in our house to say the least! As a child my mum used this recipe to make buns, cinnamon rolls and loaves of bread. But honestly it's best as buns and cinnamon rolls.


Welsh Rolls In Bread Machine

  • 1 tsp slightly heaped yeast
  • 1 1/4 cup warm/hot water
  • 1/3 cup milk powder
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 cup flour

In a 4 cup measuring cup dissolve yeast in the warmed water. Add milk powder, sugar and flour. Mix with a whisk and pour into bread machine bowl and cover and let rise. (Wash the 4 cup measuring cup right away!) This makes the sponge for the bread. When it has doubled in size continue with the recipe.

  • 1/4 cup liquid oil OR melted shortening
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 1/2 cups flour

Add oil or shortening, sugar, and egg, salt and flour. Set the bowl into the bread machine and set it for the dough cycle and turn on.

When the dough cycles has completed put dough into a large greased bowl and punch down and make into buns, bread or cinnamon rolls. Once you decide what to do with the dough, let it rise again until it doubles. I use a digital scale to weigh out the dough for my buns so they are all the same size and bake more uniformly. Depending on what the buns will be used for I make them between 50 and 80 grams. I do use a scissors to cut the dough when weighing it out then make into bun shape and place on foil lined pan for easier clean up.

For buns, bake 350` for 13 minutes in a regular oven.
If you are using a convection oven bake them for 7-8 minutes depending on how light or dark you like them to be.

Wipe the tops down with butter I'm not sure why but my mother and grandmother always did this step. But they are just as good if this step is not done.

This makes about 15 buns when they are made with 70 grams of dough plus a little wee bun with the left over dough.  If you want equal portions take the total weight of the finish dough and divide by the number of buns you want to get out of the batch. Then use that weight to figure out how much dough to use for each bun.


According to my family these are the best buns ever! Of course it reminds them of their grandma Caryl who is no longer with us so that makes them even more special now. And they are gone just as fast now as before. I can't make enough of them to keep my kids happy so they are a frequent treat now thanks to the bread machine that does all the hard work for me and saves my hands. With the fibromyalgia affecting my hands so much I'm so happy that I could scale the recipe down to fit the bread machine so I didn't have to give up making this treat for my kids.

No comments: